WELCOME TO THE WSPA

The Cherry Fire

Micro Nugget

As of Sunday August 2nd around 2PM anyone wondering what it is like to be 40 miles downwind of the Cherry Fire that started to the north of the 10 Freeway in Beaumont/Banning, it is smokey with fine ash falling and collecting behind the windbreaks.  I wouldn't advise anyone to travel into areas that could be cut off by winds that are gusting from the west and south between 10 and 20 knots at times here in Yucca Valley.  My guess is that it will be a week or more before we begin seeing an end to this.  Everything is tinder dry and just waiting for a spark.  Let's keep fingers crossed that we don't wind up with another Paradise debacle if it tops the mountains above Big Bear.

Oops, I meant the 'Apple Fire.'  The fire started in Cherry Valley which is to the north of Banning/Beaumont.  Apple Valley, of course, is nowhere near where the fire burns.  Not sure how the 'Apple Fire' name got coined, but my mistake.  Anyway, today (Monday) the winds have shifted the fire and smoke blanket due east to smother Palm Springs and places east along the I-10 corridor and is less likely to continue its march towards Yucca Valley.

Hi Martin, Satellite pictures show a massive amount of smoke  from that fire heading east the fire is huge. We had one here by highway 58 about 2000 ac the pond fire.  One about 3 miles behind us on Saturday they hit with phoscheck knocked it down quick, burning up at Walker Basin also. Way too many fires this year, the fire planes have been moving from one to another constantly. Good luck to you no fun to breathe smoke day and night.